Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Institution of the Church

A group of my friends and I have been having a discussion on the topic of the institution of the church, and as I began to think about it I started with “Why do *I* love the church?”

The church has been a parent to me in a sense: a stable foundation that has always been there. It is one of the few things that has been a constant in my life.  And sure, there have been moments when I disagree with the way the church functions, but still I love her.  I speak fondly of the church and get defensive if someone insults her.  The church has made me who I am.  For better or for worse, I am where I am today and who I am today in part because of the institution of the church. To my great joy, the institution of the church is why I have dear friends and my husband. I love the church.      

This is my basis, what has kept me generally positive towards the intuition of church.  However, it speaks only to why *I* am able to love the church, and my situation is different from many. 
 
In addressing the issue of why it is cool to love the institution of the church and to stay committed even when it’s difficult…I will address you as I address any person who is trying to understand why I do what I do (which happens often).

And to them, this is what I say, it’s cool to love the church because I believe in the good it can do….I believe in what it can produce.  Although the church does not always function as it ought to function, much good can come from this institution…here are just a few:

Love: Any person who has heard me preach knows that this is my foundation, the most important thing.  Human beings want to be loved, we crave it, we desire it and *I* think we need it to survive.  The church can give that to us.  If the church is functioning correctly she will live in love, she will function on love, love will be her foundation because “God is love” and so should the institution that follows God. 

Unity: The church gathers because of one thing, God, who brings together all people.  People of all ages, all races, male and female, tall and short, baseball fans and football fans, republicans, democrats…we may have no other reason to gather but for connection to God. And the place we gather is the institution of the church. People need unity, they need to feel accepted and to belong – the church is this place where (ideally) ALL are welcome, ALL belong.   

Jesus: Yes, the institution of the church is how people can meet Jesus. And Jesus is what people ultimately really and truly need. 

When the institution of the church is functioning properly, so much good can come from her.  So many people can find what they are looking for. This is why it’s ok to love the church, even when it’s difficult, because the potential is enormous.    

No comments:

Post a Comment